Monday, February 28, 2011

making some progress

As of most of you know I am working on getting my body fat down 3% by the time Matt gets home. And seeing as it has been about a month since he left, I thought I should get it tested again to check on my progress. Good news: it's gone down! yay!! Granted it was only by 0.10%, but down is down in my book. My measurements have also all gone down as well as my weight! This progress definitely gives me even more motivation to push myself and try harder so I can meet my goal. Gotta get to that tip-top pre-baby shape! ;)

So for all you out there who may have weight loss goals too, remember: YOU CAN DO IT!! I recommend trying new things. Get out of your comfort zone and push yourself. For me it's running. I have always hated running. With a passion. In school I could never run the mile and I despised PE. booo PE. And when I would go to the gym I would run for maybe 5-10 minutes and be super proud of myself. I was happy with a 12ish minute mile. Basically running was not my thing. I am a spinner. LOVE IT! And I do really well in group classes. All sorts of group classes. That's why I usually take bootcamp classes 3x a week and do spin on the other days.

But when Matt and I were in Florida over Thanksgiving this last year there wasn't a gym I could go to. And with all the yummy food lying around we both needed to try and burn some of it off. So Matt and I went for a couple of runs together. It was so much fun! It was great just running together, checking out the local neighborhoods, and getting out of the house. And Matt is such a great hubby...he ran at a slower pace for me. I know I can't keep up with him! He runs 10+ miles as a regular workout. I was just happy to complete 3 without stopping. Go me! And on the last day he was home we went for a 4 mile run around our neighborhood (anything to spend some time together). It really challenged me, but I am glad I was able to do it. And since he has been gone I have done the same run a few times. It brings back memories of us doing it together on his last day. I try and push myself to keep running even when I'm on the hilly part (it's hard!). This last weekend I did the run, 4.5 miles, in 50 minutes! With hills! Making some progress on my running! I am actually starting to love it. :)

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

You go girl! What a positive approach, creating a goal with the end of deployment as a finish line. Love hearing all the baby talk...

Jen said...

Way to go Shannon! Jim signed me up for a 5K today (without asking, I got an email thanking me for registering....) but I'm excited, although it won't be nearly as beautiful as running in San Diego would be...