Saturday, March 26, 2011

5k goal achieved!

Today I can cross one of my deployment goals off the list: run a 5k in under 30 minutes. I did it! Sara and I ran it together and we finished in 27:10. perfect. We had a blast too! The only bummer was getting up at 630am on a Saturday, but we did, then we ate some breakfast and went out to Balboa park. It was cool and cloudy but it didn't rain. I would say it was perfect running weather because we didn't get too hot and sweaty. We started the race at the front (so the time on the big clock would be accurate) and maintained a solid 9min mile pace. There were a lot of serious runners out there too. They were chugging along at like a 6 minute mile pace! Go them! While I would like to improve my time, pretty sure I will never be that fast. 


We got to run through Balboa park and by some of the museums. It was so nice. And it was all for a good cause: Autism Research. As many of you know Sara works with special needs adults and we were part of their team, The Stein Education Puzzle Solvers. We had close to 50 people too! Go team Stein! It was a great experience and I will definitely be participating in more races in the near future. In fact, I think I should create a couple new goals: 


1. Run a 5k in 25 minutes. 
2. Run a 10k.


Sara and I have signed up for another 5k in May, but it is a little different. It is called the Roc Race. It is more of an obstacle course with walls to scale and mud pits and ropes and all sorts of fun and interesting things. It should be a good messy day! And we are going to get some crazy team outfits too. We can't wait!


Here are a few pictures from today:
at the Stein tent
mid-run pic!
haha for fun

1 comment:

See Baby Shop said...

Congrats Shannon!!!! WTG!!!!