Friday, March 18, 2011

get your read on

On Wednesday I did something that I haven't done in 10+ years, I set foot in a public library! And let me just say: the downtown one is a little scary. There were quite a few homeless people hanging out front and one lady inside was talking to herself....or yelling at me....not sure. Didn't want to ask. But overall it was a nice place. And the best part: it's free! They give you a card for free (lifetime btw) and you can borrow any book in there....for free! I love it. (side note: I knew all this, but it's just so exciting!) I don't know why I stayed away form the library for so long. For some reason I have always bought the books I wanted to read. And then I got the kindle for my birthday and I had to buy the books to read them. But since Matt has my kindle, and I don't want to buy and store all the books I plan to read while he is gone, I decided the library was the perfect solution. Save money and space at the same time.

I've already read some good books since Matt has been gone and I wanted to recommend a few of them to all of you:

For the military wife/girlfriend: Married to the Military by Meredith Leyva:
This is a great book that covers how the military works, gives you a lot of great resources and real life stories from military families. This details everything you need to know to manage the day to day issues and get on with the adventure of military life. From relocation to deployment, protocol to finances, and career to kids, it offers a ton of great advice! I read this once when Matt and I first started dating, and then again before we got married. It really helped me navigate the Navy and all that comes with it!

For the Mommy to be: Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy:
I bought this book for two reasons: it was cheaper and not as overwhelming as all the other baby books, and I read a chapter and started laughing in the bookstore. It is a very funny, honest look at pregnancy. In fact, it is so honest that by the time I finished the book I was more worried about all the strange things that might happen to me when I'm pregnant and less excited. Better to be prepared though right? It's a great comic relief from all the big stuffy pregnancy books.

For Everyone: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson:
One of my all time favorite books. I am obsessed with the series. This is the first book of 3. It "combines murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue into one satisfyingly complex and entertainingly atmospheric novel". It has a lot of details and a lot of characters but it is so interesting! I could not put it down. I found myself wanting to read it all the time. I finished it in about a week and I just started the second book (which I borrowed from the library!). Highly recommend this to everyone!

What is one of your all time favorite books? I am always looking for good books to read!

Sonny - getting his read on!

No comments: