Wednesday, March 23, 2011

military life wednesday: how do you do it?

I have been asked the question "how do you do it?" by family, friends and strangers. People that have little to no experience with the military life. It is asked out of curiosity because they just can't imagine living this life: being separated for 6 months or more at a time, moving every few years, constantly changing jobs, never really settling, living life with a lot of "what ifs". I will be the first to tell you, it is not easy. Matt and I have to constantly remind each other about the big picture, our plans, and the positives of being in the military.

So, how do I do it?

I do it 2 or 3 weeks at a time, because I can't handle thinking of anything more. I send a package and look forward to its arrival, I wait in anticipation of the next port visit. His next phone call, his next email. 

I do it with a kiss to his picture and a snuggle to his pillow.  I lay in bed and pray every night for God to keep him safe and bring him home to me soon.

I do it with a fake smile and a cheerful voice meant to reassure all those who care about him. I do it because they look to me to determine the amount of worry that is allowed at any given time.

I do it for our future. Our hopes, our dreams, and all the we want out of life. Our future children and grandchildren.

I do it with the help and support of all of the other military families out there. The people who truly know what you are going through. They provide friendship, understanding, and comfort through the good times and the bad.

I do it because I can't imagine loving anyone else. I never thought I would marry a military guy, but I did and do not regret it for a single minute. He is worth the wait, he is worth the lonely nights, he is worth the tears.

I do it for this country and all the other ones that need our help. I do it because the people of Japan need him and his shipmates right now. I do it in spite of all the worry. I do it in spite of the fears.

I do it because I love him. I do it because he needs my support.

the picture was taken by a pilot from Matt's ship who was our delivering aid. very moving.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Well said! You are a wonderful woman and he is a wonderful man. I am so glad that you found each other too.