Wednesday, March 2, 2011

military life wednesday

So I thought I would try something new. Starting today (and every Wednesday until I run out of ideas) I want to do a military advice post, something I have learned from being a military wife. It may be advice I've received, a lesson I've learned, the way of life in the military, or a gripe (we all need to complain sometimes :)).

Today is all about change....or is it about planning ahead...or maybe being open to change...or?! Military life is an ever changing life. We spend a lot of time discussing the future, his career plans, my career plans, our life goals, places we would and would not want to live, and the list goes on. And every 6 months the conversation is different. Last time it was Hawaii, this time its Monterrey, or maybe its Japan. It all depends on this, that and the other. I seriously need a handbook to keep all this straight! And let me tell you, it can drive me crazy! I am a planner. I like to know what is going to happen well in advance. I am not a "fly by the seat of your pants" kinda girl. I would say I am adventurous, but not spontaneous. If I have a little notice I can be spontaneous....or does it not count then? I have a calendar on my wall for a reason people! I like to know what's coming up.

Military life is not always something you can plan. You can try to plan, but it doesn't always work out the way you wanted. When we left San Diego I did not think we would be back so soon. We had "planned" on DC for at least 2 years, maybe 3, then possibly overseas or maybe even Virginia Beach. And well, we are back in San Diego. Granted it could be a lot worse. The point: all you can do is prepare mentally for where you could possibly, maybe be going. We talk about all our options and come to terms with all the different scenarios. Although that sometimes leads me to get attached to a certain location and then when it falls through I feel sad and angry. There are a lot of "what ifs" and as an organized planning machine, ooooo that drives me nuts!

I guess the saying "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" is perfect for us military folk. You can try and plan as much as possible, but don't expect it to work out all the time, because let me tell you it doesn't. And even though Matt and I have been blessed to live in some great places I know that at some point it won't be so fabulous. And it will be hard, but I know it won't be forever. You need to find the silver lining at every place you go. Nothing is perfect and nothing will compare to home, but it is what you make of it. I know as long as Matt and I have each other we can get through anything. Any place, any job, anything the military decides to throw at us at the last minute.

No comments: