Friday, March 11, 2011

an update on Matt

Let me start off by telling you that Matt is safe and sound. I have received an email from him today and I hope to get a call sometime in the next few days.

As you all know there has been a large earthquake off the coast of Japan which caused a tsunami to hit the island. It has resulted in an unbelievable amount of devastation to that country.  Since Matt's strike group is in that area right now, they have been diverted from their normal operations and have been asked to assist in the humanitarian efforts. I do not know much more than that right now, but if and when I find out any information I will pass it on.

Let me just take this time to also say how very proud I am of him and all that the Navy is doing to help. I know Matt would say "I'm just doing my job", but to me and I'm sure a lot of other people, it is much more than that. Of course I am worried beyond words about him and his fellow sailors, but I am confident they will travel safely and cautiously and provide all the help they can.

Please keep all the sailors as well as all the Japanese people in your thoughts and prayers. Living in California, I know this same thing could happen to us at any time.

No comments: