Wednesday, April 6, 2011

military life wednesday: spouse resources

Today I thought I would share a few useful websites for the military spouses out there. When Matt and I first met I was constantly scouring the Internet for information about being a military wife. I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. Was it for me? Could I handle it? I spent a lot of time reading books and articles online. They were written by military spouses for military spouses. It really helped me navigate my way through the military maze. It is information I still use today and share with other wives when I have the chance. So, here are a couple of my go-to sites.

As a military spouse, the one thing you can always count on is moving, a lot. This website was recommended to me by a friend and I love the idea. Spouses helping spouses. It is still new, so it is still adding information and resources daily. If you join (its free!), you can help add in your favorite places to eat, shop, or visit. There are recommendations for doctors, daycares, schools, etc. The more people that join and contribute, the better the site. Check it out:

http://www.youhaveorders.com/

A while back I told you about this great book Married to the Military, well there is a website that goes with it. It is full of information and resources! It has a ton of great articles about all things military: deployment, relocation, your career, money, benefits, etc. You can share information and ask questions in their forums too. Take a look:

http://cinchouse.com/

There is also a website that accompanies the magazine Military Spouse. It also has a ton of really great articles about military life. I see this magazine at the commissary all the time and usually read through it while waiting to check out. If you are a writer, and you have something you want to share with other spouses, submit an article! Definitely a good resource:

http://www.milspouse.com/default.aspx

Feel free to take a look at these sites and share them with your friends. I also highly recommend following spouse blogs. They give their honest opinions about deployment and separation, relocation, the places they live, etc. You definitely do not feel so alone when you know someone is going through the same things you are. And since most are public, you can secretly stalk. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey GF! I'm keeping up with your blog!!!
I was looking for mention of me, nothing found. But I sure enjoy your wonderful thoughts! Hugs~r