Friday, May 27, 2011

love homework: love mantra

The assignment: come up with an official love mantra and explain how you plan to make it work for your marriage.

Our Mantra: "compliment more than you criticize"

I actually used the mantra in my Meet a Wife Monday questionnaire, but I think it's a really good one. And to be perfectly honest, one I need to work on more. I try not to be nit picky but unfortunately I am. I am a perfectionist and a neat freak and I like to be in control of the situation. That said, it is very easy...too easy...for me to pick on Matt about various stupid things. He has pointed it out to me before and I'm now actively working on it. I am trying to let things go and not get all worked up over the house being a mess or errands not getting done. It will all work itself out. And instead of complaining about how he didn't clean the kitchen the right way, or whatever ridiculous thing I happen to be focused on at the time, I need to compliment him on even attempting to clean the kitchen! I should be happy I have a husband who is willing to pitch in and help out around the house. Be a little grateful Shannon!

So baby, from now on I promise to try harder to compliment you more than I criticize you. We all know a nice word and a sincere "thank you" goes a long way. And I do appreciate you and all you do. I get a little outta control sometimes and I need a chill pill. And when I start to act a fool, say to me "sweetie, remember the love mantra" and hopefully my 'tude will turn right around!

And as a little bonus mantra, because we can always use more inspiration, "live life to the fullest". Yea I know it's been said a thousand times before, but it's true. And that is exactly how Matt and I try to live. When we travel, when we spend time together, we try to take advantage of every opportunity and enjoy all our experiences. Heck no I didn't want to get up at 3am to go see the sunrise in Hawaii, but I did. And let me tell you, it was amazing. It was my favorite day of our entire trip. Watching the sun come up together, riding our bikes down the volcano, stopping for breakfast, and then relaxing together that afternoon. It was worth it.

We like to see it all and do it all, together, as a team. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, so instead of stressing out about some minor issue, let it go, say I love you, and enjoy every moment. When you look back on your life, it won't matter what you wore, how expensive your car was, or how much money you made. What matters is the time you spent together, as a family, the things you did, and the memories you made. Live life to the fullest.






No comments: