Wednesday, June 1, 2011

fly it high, fly it with pride

As I was driving around this weekend I absolutely loved seeing all the American flags flying high. It seemed like everyone in my neighborhood put one out for Memorial Day. It is inspiring and moving. I love it.

But why is it that as soon as the holiday is over the flag is taken down? Why do people only put it out on certain holidays and leave the flag pole bare the rest of the year? Are they afraid it will get ruined? Are we scared to show our patriotism? Where is the American pride?

Normally I avoid hot button issues and prefer not to be political on the blog, but this really irks me. When you go to Mexico, what is the first thing you see? The biggest Mexican flag in the world. Seriously. They are proud of who they are and proud of their country. I want to see some of that spirit here. If you don't have a flag pole I encourage you to go out and buy one. A flag will cost you less than $40.

At the Clute household, we fly our flag 24/7. It does not come down if its windy, or rainy or if its Christmas. I am proud to be an American, proud to be a Navy wife, and damn proud to fly the flag. I just wish other people would do the same.

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free....and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me...."

Fly it high, fly it with pride. we do.

No comments: