Friday, June 10, 2011

the simple things

Last night as I was laying in bed, reading my book I thought to myself "I really miss the late night chats Matt and I used to have". After crawling into bed, we would just chit chat about anything and everything. It was quiet and peaceful and just us. A simple thing. A simple joy.

There are a lot of things like that that I miss. Matt and I cuddling on the same couch, then Harley jumping up trying to get in on the action too. Cooking dinner together. Getting a morning goodbye kiss as Matt leaves for work, then adding in a nice little butt squeeze and a "babe you look hot in that uniform". Going for a run together and not talking, just enjoying each others company. Running errands together on the weekend. Enjoying a glass of wine and a chat over dinner.

But those are also things I look forward to enjoying again very soon. And I am thankful for deployment for that reason. It made me really appreciate the simple things in life. It isn't always about big trips, fancy cars, or large homes. It's a good glass of wine. Clean sheets. A great pair of slippers. A warm cup of coffee on a brisk morning. The real joys in life and in marriage come from the small moments you share together. If you have those and you appreciate those, I really believe you will have a good strong relationship.

one of Harley's simple joys: warm laundry