Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I can see!!

Seeing as I am writing this blog right now, and no I do not have a braille keyboard, Lasik worked! I can see!! Today is day 1 post-op and I am really surprised at the results. I knew I would be able to see better, but I never imagined I could see everything!!! I do have some halos around lights, and my left eye feels like it has a scratch on it, but these things are very minor and totally normal. I am told they should go away in a few weeks. In fact, my vision should improve over the next few weeks/months! That is super crazy to me because I feel like I can see perfectly today, day 1!

How about a play by play? here goes.....

We arrive at the Lasik center (Matt and I), I go in and get all my scans done again, have my numbers checked and my eyes examined one last time. They like to triple check everything to make sure they do it right. Then they gave me a Valium to "relax" me. I wasn't that nervous, and the Valium made me tired but not super relaxed. I really wanted to ask for another, lol, but by then I was heading in for surgery. (It's weird to even call it surgery since you are awake the entire time). Anyways, I lay down on the chair, they give me a cute bully stuffed animal to hold (it was like having Mr H with me) and then we started. They put on some sort of tape/device thing to hold my eyes open, then "suctioned" the eye. It sounds a lot scarier than it actually was. It felt like someone pressing on your eye, but it didn't hurt. It just created little air bubbles so they could lift the flap. Then they pull off the flap, and you look at a red light and for 30 seconds the laser does its job. Then the flap goes back on, they smooth it out, and on to the other eye. Done. Super easy. It doesn't take long at all. What I thought would be the longest 15 minutes of my life felt like 2.

And off to home we went. I went straight to bed, slept for 2 hours, then got up and had dinner. Matt went and got sushi for us. yum! Eating was actually hard, but only because the lights hurt my eyes and they felt dry and all I wanted to do was close them. After dinner I laid back down and basically slept until morning. Matt took great care of me though. He fed Mr H and made sure I got to bed ok and was feeling alright and took my eye drops if needed.

And when I woke up today, BAM, I could see! It's amazing, probably one of the best decisions I've made (besides marrying Matt of course) and worth every.single.penny. And for those of you who are worried about the cost, most places do interest free financing for up to 2 years, which is only a couple hundred dollars a month (and a lot offer military discounts!). That is a super good deal! Side note for those of you who are thinking about having a baby: you can't get Lasik if you are pregnant or nursing. So if this is something you want to do, plan accordingly. I did mine now because I didn't want to wait a couple of years to get it done. And I am so happy I did! Now when we have a little one, I can get up in the middle of the night and see! It really is life changing and I recommend it to everyone!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I was just thinking about you when I signed in! I'm so glad it all went well and that you can see!! That's awesome!!

Meredith said...

Yay! So happy! Love ya!! (And this totally makes me want lasik more!!)