Wednesday, November 2, 2011

bananas for banana bread

My friend Samyjo over at Hooked on Healthy has been motivating me to eat healthier, less processed foods. I am usually pretty good, but I do have a love for baked goods. Pies, pastries, donuts, etc are my weakness. And those types of foods are definitely not "Paleo" friendly. As I started my transition away from those foods are toward all Paleo type dishes, I found I was constantly craving something sweet. After lunch and dinner I needed something to satisfy that craving, and fruit was just not cutting it. I did a quick google search for Paleo desserts and found this amazing Banana Bread recipe.

2 cups Almond Flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup chopped nuts (I added sliced almonds but walnuts would be yum!)
4 really ripe bananas (mashed)
2 tbsp honey (local if possible)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract


1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl add the mashed bananas, eggs, honey, vanilla, and mix well.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
5. Fill greased muffin tins, baking cups, or loaf pan. Bake muffins 23-25 minutes, loaves for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Let cool slightly and enjoy!

The finished product:
gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free! yum!

I will give a word of warning....don't alter the recipe too much. I couldn't find almond flour, but I had coconut at home. I decided to use the coconut flour instead and just reduce the amount since it is drier than the almond flour. It didn't work at all. It didn't bake and was a hot mess. I ended up tossing it (so sad). If you are having a hard time finding the almond flour, try Trader Joe's, Henry's, Sprout's, or a local co-op. Any place that sells all natural foods should have it.
While I was inside slaving away, this is what my boys were doing:
Photobucket

8 comments:

Samantha said...

I tried this the other day, so tasty! Good call! I cut the recipe in half and did muffins, they came out much darker looking than yours. Did you use almond flour or meal? (flour is blanched almonds, meal is almonds with skin) -another tip if you don't have any almond flour/meal on hand you can grind almonds in a coffee grinder/magic bullet and that works great! Thanks for the recipe!

First Lady C said...

I have no idea which one I used. haha. I will have to check tonight. I may need to get a "magic bullet" for Christmas too.

Question - when you make bread, how do you store it? or do you guys eat it so fast it doesn't matter?

Samantha said...

Depends what ingredients I use. The bread with the coconut flour has high egg content so usually in the fridge. If using coconut milk then I store it in the fridge as well. This banana bread recipe would be fine left out.

and yes, I think you need to put the bullet on your xmas list! :)

Meredith said...

Okay grain-free girls! I am going to give this one a try! I love my baked goods - but since I gave up white flour this month I love this twist on the traditional. Thanks!

Samantha said...

Meredith, you will not be disappointed! :)

First Lady C said...

i looked, the pacckage says almond flour/meal but the details says blanched almonds....so I guess more flour. haha.

Samantha said...

Ok, that makes sense since the coloring is so much lighter.

First Lady C said...

I made the muffins too...they came out darker. I think I like the muffins better, controls the portion! :)