Monday, November 21, 2011

pumpkin love

Since Thanksgiving is this week and it's fall (obviously) I decided to post 2 pumpkin inspired recipes I tried over the weekend.

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
This delicious beverage is only 97 calories! I saw the recipe on the Hungry Girl website and decided I must try it. I love the ones at Starbucks, but they have a ton of calories in them. This one was pretty easy to make and tasted very pumpkiny...

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. sugar-free French vanilla powdered creamer (like the kind by Coffee-mate)
1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda or Truvia)
2 tsp. instant coffee granules
1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, or more for topping
2 tbsp. canned pure pumpkin (Libby's is the best)
1/2 cup light vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup Fat Free Reddi-wip

Directions:
1. Place powdered creamer, sweetener, coffee granules, and pumpkin pie spice in a tall microwave-safe mug or glass.

2. Add 3/4 cup very hot water and stir until creamer and coffee granules have dissolved.
3. Add canned pumpkin and stir until blended.

4. Add soy milk and mix well.
5. Microwave for 30 - 45 seconds, until hot. Give it a stir, and top with Reddi-wip. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice, if you like, and enjoy!
I did not use any whip cream and I used regular fat free milk, and it still tasted great. I might reduce the amount of pumpkin next time since it was a little sweet for my taste, but overall very yummy and nice to enjoy at home. Saved me $5 too!
~~~~~~~~~

Paleo Pumpkin Bread/Muffins

I found the recipe on elana's panty website after googling desserts. mmmmm

Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 cup roasted pumpkin (or canned pumpkin)
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp stevia
3 eggs

Directions:
1. In a food processor (or mixer) combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
2. Add pumpkin, honey, stevia and eggs. Pulse for 2 minutes.
3. Scoop batter into loaf pan, or muffin tins.
4. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes for the loaf, or 25 minutes for the muffins.

These are sooooo good! I used the canned pumpkin, and did not use stevia (added a little more honey instead). I love them. They are the perfect little after dinner snack when you are looking for something sweet.
Happy baking everyone! :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yum! I'm passing these on to Michaela - she'll love them!!