Tuesday, April 10, 2012

weekend recap: first baby gear purchase

This last weekend was one of the first weekends Matt has been home the entire time. Between duty days and inspections, he has spent a lot of time on the ship. And even though we didn't have any big Easter plans, it was still a relaxing weekend, just the two of us. He had to work late on Friday so I decided to make him a special treat....almond croissants. I think the last time I made them was Easter 2011, so it was long overdue. They are fairly easy to make, but very time consuming. I started them on Friday night and finished them Saturday morning. Matt was super excited. He says it's one of the best things I make. I will take it! :) I also made dinner that night, which is a rare treat since Matt typically does most of the cooking.

We started our Saturday at the grocery store. It had to be done and we needed to check out the stroller prices on base. We made it out of there in less than an hour, just in time for me to take Harley to his annual vet appointment. After waiting for over 30 minutes, which already annoyed me, we then ended up with the vet I hate. The first time we ever had this guy he recommended pulling a few of Harley's teeth....and what do you know, he brought it up again this time. I let him blab away until the tech came in with the $1k quote. I took that moment to go off on why I don't trust this vet, that the other vets on site never said anything about his teeth before, and that basically the guy is smoking crack (I literally said "I'm pretty sure he is smoking crack"). She politely listened to me, sorta defended him (she didn't want to get fired), then proceeded to ask "if this was your child, and they needed it done, would you do it?" Um so you are not only calling me a cheapskate but a bad Mom as well?? Oh hell no. I asked for a second opinion from the head vet on site, and what do you know, that guy didn't think anything needed to be done. And all of a sudden this teeth pulling became a preventative recommendation. Hmm. And by the end of the appointment H was having none of it as well. He was beyond pissed with everyone poking and prodding him, and got super annoyed when they had to take his blood. Thankfully we won't be going back again.

After that traumatizing experience, for H and myself, we headed off to the beach for some much needed relaxation. There were a few other dogs there and H had a blast playing with them and splashing in the water. He was not happy about the bath Daddy had to give him when we got back, but it is the price you pay for fun.

it looked a little something like this....
For Easter Sunday we slept in, enjoyed family cuddles in bed, then a nice homemade breakfast. Almond croissants, eggs, and sausage. YUM! Then we were off to buy some baby gear! First stop: REI! After comparing prices with the base, it was actually cheaper to but the stroller at REI. We had a 20% off coupon and a rebate from Matt's membership. Score! Here is our BOB Revolution SE:



And after getting home with our new purchase, I decided we needed to test it out. And what do you know, we have a 30lb dog that would fit perfectly. hehe.

H was not having it, not even for half a second.


Poor H had a rough weekend. Even though he didn't love being in the stroller, he didn't mind walking next to it, which is very important. One of the reasons we got this stroller is so we can go outside for walks, runs, and hikes. It's an all terrain stroller with great suspension. It turns on a dime and is really easy to fold up and put in the car. For active families, I highly recommend it....and I haven't even used it yet!

We also attempted to do some maternity clothes shopping, but unfortunately the mall was closed. Lame. So we spent the rest of the afternoon/evening hanging out at home by the fire.

No comments: