Monday, July 16, 2012

apple pie in a jar

In June my sister-in-law had her bridal shower on the east coast. It was cooking themed, with people bringing their favorite recipes and the dry ingredients for the bride-to-be as a gift. Since I couldn't be there I mailed a gift and a recipe in a jar. I figured putting it all together in a jar would be easier than shipping a recipe with a box of canned goods, etc. I scoured the internet for good ideas and found a winner: Apple Pie in a Jar! And bonus, I actually had the mason jars from my Cake in a Jar days. All I needed were the apples and the time to cook and decorate it.

Because I knew I didn't need 7 mason jars of apple pie, I cut the recipe down by 2/3, hoping I would get 2 full jars plus a little extra, you know, to taste. :)

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cups and 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3  cups and 2 tablespoons water
  • 2-3/4 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 8-3/4 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples

Instructions:
  1. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stock pot. Fill pot with hot water. Sterilize canning jars, lids, and rings by placing on rack, jars upright. Bring water to a boil. Boil 10 minutes. Remove with a holder and allow jars to air-dry. Save water for processing apples.               
  2. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and water in a large saucepan. Place over high heat and cook until thick and bubbly, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Feel free to add other spices of your choice. I added vanilla!              
  3. Tightly pack apples into sterilized jars. Slowly pour syrup over apples, covering them completely. Gently tap jars on counter top to allow air bubbles to rise. Screw lids on jars. ~ I had a hard time getting the syrup to get in between the apples so I did it in small amounts. I added a few apples, then some syrup, and so on until the jar was full.
  4. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Add more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water (my water went to the lid). Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes. ~I wasn't sure this process was important, but it helps to soften the apples and seal the jars at the same time!              
  5. Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid doesn't move up or down at all). Sealed jars can be stored for up to a year.   
The finished product!!
  
I added fabric, tied it with ribbon, and attached a little note to the jar. I snagged this picture from my MIL of the jar with the gift (I forgot to take one before I mailed it out):

    
Matt and I ended up eating the other one a few days after I made it. We used Bisquick to make some yummy biscuits, topped them off with the heated apple pie mix and ate it up for dessert! It was pretty darn good! You could also get a pie crust, toss in the mix and enjoy a quick and easy apple pie. Or, in desperation, just eat it straight from the jar. Happy Baking!

No comments: