Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Necessities for labor

The other day looked back at my previous post where I listed all the wonderful things I was packing in my labor bag for Matt, Charlotte, and myself. While I didn't get to use most of the items in our bags, I can tell you what I did find super important and what I wish I would have had with me that day......



For Baby:

  • 2 receiving blankets  - they had everything we needed
  • One newborn onesie, one 3 month onesie - must haves!! You never know how big the baby will be. I thought I would have a huge baby and Charlotte was only 7lbs 5oz
  • PJ set  - not necessary
  • Socks, mittens, and cute hair bows! - of course these are important!
  • 4 diapers  - doesn't hurt to have them, but they should have plenty for you
  • Wipes & blanket (in the car, just in case) - always good to have in the car
For Mom:
  • Battle gown - due to all the pain, I totally forgot I had it. Wish I had used it tho, love this gown!
  • 2 nursing bras - one for the tub, one for after - YES! Must haves for sure!
  • Extra undies and socks - Always good to have extras :)
  • Sweatpants & nursing tank for after - Sweats were a good call. All you want is roomy comfort after giving birth.
  • Slippers - didn't make it into the bag. And I was in bed the whole time, so they weren't needed.
  • Toiletries - hair ties, hairbrush, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouth wash, LIPGLOSS! - All were must haves! I puked during labor so that mouth wash was key! And my lips have never been so dry in my life. Don't forget the chapstick or you will be sorry!
For Dad:
  • Swim trunks for the tub - Matt didn't have time to get in, but glad we had these with us.
  • Comfy change of clothes - He was glad I had these packed
  • Slippers - He was glad I had these packed too!
  • iPad/iPod/Magazines - haha. Didn't use these at all! I'm sure if you are heading to a hospital they will come in handy. 
For Labor:
  • Music (on iPod) - didn't use it. Glad I had made it, but never turned it on.
  • Candles (special ones my Mom got us) - really bummed I never used these. Nice for home though.
  • Tennis Balls (help with back labor) - I think Matt used these on me a few times. Very nice if you are having any back pain!
  • Water/Juice/Snacks/Hard Candy/Honey - The drinks and snacks were much needed during recovery!
  • Camera and Camcorder (as well as the chargers!) - Must haves!!

A few things that weren't on the list but  should have been.....

One thing I wish we had at home was a straw! I was so thirsty during labor, but for some reason drinking out of a cup or bottle just wasn't doing it for me. A straw would have made that much easier. So if you plan to labor at home, stock up! :)

Another thing that came in handy at the end was a wet washcloth. Those last contractions were killers and that cool towel on your face is awesome. Plus you can scream into it. haha.

And finally, if you can, have an extra person in the labor room besides your husband. They will be so caught up in the moment that they may forget to take pictures and video. Having an additional person, whether that's a Doula, a parent, or a friend, is key. You can give them the task of photographer, and they can also relieve your hubby when he needs a break.

OH and pack that bag early! It may seem ridiculous, and you may think you can pack it at the last minute (I sure did) but trust me, that will be the last thing on your mind. You will be in pain and your hubby will be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, so there won't be any last minute packing going on. It will probably be more of a mad dash for the car, barely remembering the bag at all. Or maybe that was just our crazy experience! :)

Good luck to all my friends due in the next few months! You will be great!! And remember, if those girls on 16 & pregnant can do it, so can you! Plus, after all that hard work, you get a cute little baby....


1 comment:

Meredith said...

This is really, really helpful! I'm going to revise my packing list now!!