Thursday, February 28, 2013

yummy in your tummy

I thought I would spice things up a bit and post a few recipes today! I made both of these recently and they were so delicious I just had to share. 

First up is a tried and true enchilada recipe. I have been making this recipe for 10 years or more and it is always a big hit!

Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
1 packing taco seasoning
1 can enchilada sauce (red or green)
1 package mexican cheese
1package tortillas (corn or flour)

optional ingredients: 
can of olives
can of jalapeƱos

Mix the taco seasoning with a little water and oil and add in the chicken. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Let cool, shred chicken. 

Heat a little oil in a skillet, toss in a tortilla. Heat it up on both sides to add a little crunch to them. Take it out of the pan, blot off the oil. Spoon sauce on to the tortilla, add chicken and cheese (and olives and jalapeƱos if desired). Roll into an enchilada and place it in a 9x13 baking dish. Repeat these steps until the pan is full or you are out of tortillas. It usually makes 7-10 enchiladas, depending on the tortillas you choose.

Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and top it off with cheese. 

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, long enough to heat through and melt the cheese. Top with sour cream and enjoy!



And now for a spur of the moment improvised recipe. I had a craving for quiche and as I was browsing recipes online I saw most called for a pie crust, which we had in our freezer. So instead of making a pecan pie, I made a pretty delicious quiche with ingredients from the fridge!

Quiche

Ingredients:
1 pie crust
1 cup spinach
mushrooms
ham
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
cheese!

The spinach I had was fresh so I cooked it in a pan along with my mushrooms and ham. I used lunch meat ham, but you could use any meat you choose. I added about half a cup or more of cheese (mexican and mozzarella) to the mixture then poured it into the pie crust. 

In a bowl mix the 3 eggs with the milk. Pour over the other ingredients. 

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Pull it out, add more cheese the top and continue baking for 35-45 minutes, until the crust is golden and it is set in the middle. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!


No comments: