Thursday, March 21, 2013

switching to fish for better health during pregnancy (by Katie Moore, guest blogger)

Today I have a special post for all of you. A fellow blogger and Mom, Katie Moore, has put together a great post about staying healthy during pregnancy by eating more fish! It is a wonderful idea, and she even included a great recipe for all you salmon fans out there! Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Before my pregnancy, I never paid much attention to nutrition. My knowledge base on the subject was limited to knowing that a diet high in fruits and vegetables was healthier than eating fast food on a regular basis. Fortunately, I have never been much of a fast-food eater and have always had a natural preference for fresh fruit over sweets. However, I wanted to find a protein source other than traditional meat because I had read so many negative things about beef, chicken and pork raised in commercial feedlots. I was concerned that the hormones used in raising these animals would be harmful to my baby if I consumed meat on a regular basis. Since I have always loved seafood, I started investigating different types of fish as alternative protein sources.

Because I was concerned about mercury levels, I carefully researched different types of fish to find the ones lowest in that particular element. What I discovered was that fish from colder waters had less mercury than fish caught in warmer geographic locations. I also found out that wild Alaskan salmon contained very little mercury at all, and because I have always liked the taste of salmon, I decided to purchase some canned salmon and play around with recipes.

Canned salmon can be used in a variety of ways. The first time I cooked with it, I made a simple casserole using a tuna hot-dish recipe and substituting salmon. I also began making salmon melt sandwiches using a traditional tuna melt recipe. Because there is so many different ways to prepare meals using canned salmon, I was able to eat it several times per week without becoming bored. I've even used it in omelets mixed with Swiss cheese and broccoli.


For a great snack or if you have to bring a dish to a party, whip up this super simple salmon dip. It was quick and easy to prepare, and everyone who has tried it is impressed by the taste. Here's the recipe:

4 tuna-sized cans of wild salmon
1 8-ounce block of creamed cheese
3 Tablespoons of low fat mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Several sprinklings of chopped baby dill

Although some people add other ingredients such as capers, salmon spread is best prepared with as few ingredients as possible to allow the natural taste of the salmon to shine through.

There are many foods and other habits that are not safe for pregnant women at any time during their term. Speak to your doctor about the best way to stay healthy concerning diet and exercise. There are many options available to you and your baby that you should ask your doctor about as well—options like cord blood banking, pain management, and birthing styles are a few examples. With a healthy attitudeplenty of advice from your medical team, you can breeze through your term and delivery feeling your best!

Katie Moore has written and submitted this article. Katie is an active blogger who discusses the topics of, motherhood, children, fitness, health and all other things Mommy. She enjoys writing, blogging, and meeting new people! To connect with Katie contact her via her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter, @moorekm26.

No comments: