Monday, May 6, 2013

super delicious paleo recipes

Back in March, after a few weeks of tummy aches and an overall blah feeling after most meals, I asked Matt if he would be willing to try the Paleo diet with me. And surprisingly he actually agreed! (Matt never agrees to any sort of diet) I was shocked to say the least. I knew I had to take advantage of this opportunity, so we cleaned out the cabinets and started eating fruits, veggies and meats. We both wanted to eat better and hopefully feel better in the process. Note: we are never 100% Paleo. Matt still puts milk in his coffee and we still enjoy wine occasionally. And of course with vacations and dinners out it is always hard to eat right, but I think we have done pretty well, especially since the bakery I love is around the corner from our house!! And two months later, I feel so much healthier! I get fuller from smaller servings, and have a lot more energy. And if we ever decide to go grab fro-yo for a dessert treat, man do I regret it as soon as I finish. Dairy is just not a friend of mine. But sometimes I need a little reminder of why I don't eat it anymore. :)

Because carbs and dessert were a big part of our diet (especially while I was pregnant), cutting those out meant we had to get a little more creative in the kitchen. I had to dust off some of my Paleo recipes, ask friends for recommendations, and scour the internet for tasty treats. And we both had to be more openminded to trying some interesting concoctions. Today I am sharing two of my favorite dinner dishes. Sadly, I am not creative enough to come up with these on my own, maybe someday I will have the time and patience to do that. But man am I grateful for the internet, seriously, how did we ever live without it?

I hope you all enjoy these recipes!

Cauliflower buns
we usually make turkey burgers to go with these....yum!

Ingredients: (makes 4 buns)

  • 4 cups grated raw cauliflower
  • 4 Tbsp almond flour
  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • curry powder - I add this and love it!

1. Mix ingredients together. If it is too moist add a little more flour. 
2. Shape and flatten on a well oiled cookie sheet 
3. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then broil for 5 additional minutes until golden brown.

thank you 'live right be healthy' blog



Ingredients:
  • 2lbs pork shoulder roast (or loin)
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 apples, cored and sliced
  • 2/3 cup beef or chicken broth (or water)
  • 1 tbsp raw honey
  • 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger (or ground ginger)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
  • 1 bay leaf

1. Add broth or water, onions, then pork, then apples then all your spices/garlic/bay leaf
2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8 hours.
3. Use a fork or tongs to shred the pork and enjoy!

thank you 'paleOMG' blog

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Love the post and recipes ! What do you eat for breakfast while on paleo? Being at work I have such a hard time with breakfast!!

First Lady C said...

For breakfast I usually do eggs with ham or turkey sausage and fruit. Or oatmeal and berries and banana. I know oatmeal isn't really Paleo, but I figure it's a healthy cheat and I usually eat it before a workout. I do have a recipe for non oatmeal oatmeal, which I haven't tried yet. I should send the recipe to you! You could also do hard boiled eggs. I usually buy 18 to 36 eggs a week and boil almost half for snacks. :)

Samantha said...

Glad you guys liked the cauli bun recipe! I make a big batch weekly and store them in the fridge. Try cutting out a hole in the bun (like a hole in one with bread) and then cooking an egg in the middle. That is one of my new fav things!

You really NEED to try the NOatmeal recipe...it's so easy and really tasty. Thats what I make for Ash's breakfast at least 3x a week.

Samantha said...

@Meredith - are you eating at home or on the go? If you're eating on the go you could bake a bunch of egg muffins or frittata (just eggs and meat/veggies baked for 30 mins at 350) and you can eat it at work cold or warmed in the microwave. You could also heat that up at home for a fast breakfast before leaving. The egg muffins make for a good snack as well.

Also, the no oatmeal recipe has a very similiar taste and texture to oatmeal, but it is grain free.

1 banana mashed up well
3/4c egg whites
2T ground flax
splash of vanilla
hefty sprinkle of cinnamon
splash of coconut milk (optional)

Mix it all up well. Add to a small saucepan on low heat. Stir often until it thickens. Usually about 10 mins. Ash likes his with blueberries cooked in. I usually add a scoop of sunflower seed butter. Both you girls need to give it a try! :)