Thursday, May 21, 2015

what's in a name?

Why is it that choosing a name for a baby is so hard? Before getting pregnant or having a baby it sounds like the funnest thing in the world. You dream about what you will name your little girl or little boy for what feels like your entire life (especially if you are a girl), and nowadays you even keep a list on your phone. Then all of a sudden you see that pink line appear on that pregnancy test and all those names you imaged would be perfect sound terrible and you wonder what the hell you were thinking when you even wrote that name down. You would think finding out if its a boy or girl would narrow it down, and it can, but I can tell you it doesn't get easier. And just wait until you hold that little bundle in your arms and they hand you the birth certificate to fill out and all of a sudden the weight of the world is on your shoulders. "Am I SURE this is the right name?" "Do they really look like a ..." "What about all those other names we were considering?" "Where is my phone, let me see that list!" I actually had to have Matt fill out Charlotte's because my hands were shaking I was so nervous. This is naming a person!!! They have to live with that name for the rest of their lives. Well technically they could change it if they so desire but how would THAT make you feel? Like a pretty big failure in the name choosing book right?!! I chose this name for you and you better love it!! haha

I will say that we knew we wanted to name Charlotte, Charlotte, for most of the pregnancy. It just felt right. And yet when the time came to pull the trigger and fill out the forms I was so nervous and all of a sudden unsure. So now we have another little girl on the way and we have to choose just the right name for her. That is so much harder than it seems. We want a name that goes well with Charlotte but isn't too similar. And I am paranoid we will end up with a few name options on the day she is born, but no solid winner. Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I thought I would be somewhat confident I could make a decision! I am worried I will choke under pressure and then Matt will choose. Talk about a burden. This could be a recipe for blame for years to come. jk. I wouldn't do that. Well I guess that depends on how bad the name is.

I actually have a current favorite name, but it isn't Matt's favorite. Any chance giving birth to this little one gives me extra bonus points I can use as leverage when making the name official?! I will say we are pretty sure on a middle name. There are two solid choices, both family names that we both agree on and love. So that's something right? 

So for anyone that was hoping to know the name before hand, good luck. Unless you can see into the future with your magical crystal ball (which, if you have one, I would like to borrow btw) we will all be on pins and needles until little miss makes her appearance later this summer. So much for monogramming anything ahead of time!



No comments: