Friday, April 14, 2017

Book review: The Secret Life Of A Military Kid: Destination Unknown

I recently had the opportunity to read a really great book. A book for pre-teens. A book for military kids. A book for all kids. The Secret Life Of A Military Kid: Destination Unknown by Terrica Joseph. It tells the story of a boy who is upset about another military move. He has to say goodbye to his friends, move to a new town, and try to fit in. The story is all too familiar to military families. In the 8.5 years Matt and I have been together we have moved 4 times. Is it tough? Yea. Do we manage? Yea, we eventually figure it out and settle in. But I hadn't really thought about moving and all the havoc it can wreak on kids. I (obviously) know that it does, but now that we have little ones of our own I realized they will soon be feeling the same things Jeremy does. I discovered how important it is for not only kids, but for parents, to read stories like this. How the parents reacted in this book, especially the open discussions they had as a family, are all really great ideas I may use someday. Even if your child is outgoing and easily makes friends, they will struggle with a move.

The book is ideal for kids 9-13 years old. I would also recommend it for the parents too. Perhaps even reading it as a family and discussing as you go along?! Even if you don't come from a military family you would enjoy this book. Every person and every family has their struggles. This book takes a peak into the struggles of a military kid. 

Thank you Terrica for allowing me to read this book! I can't wait to read it to my kiddos someday. If you are interested in purchasing this book you can find it on Amazon here


No comments: